Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Value of Value

I'm still working on the portrait and suspect I will be for several more days.  Right now it is not fun...grrr... paintings that just seem to paint themselves are so much more fun.  Don't you agree?  I have been struggling with the values in the ladies face all day.  If she were here and I could look at her I would probably have better luck seeing the values, but she isn't and I am working from a photo so I am struggling.  Not long ago I was working on a painting and I knew there was a problem... but for the longest time I couldn't put my finger on it.  Then the light came on... (that happens once in a while cause I think I have a short in my brain somewhere!!) I grabbed my camera and took a photo of the painting, put it in photoshop and turned it black and white and printed it out.  I wanted to compare it to the value study I had done earlier.  As luck will have it sometime, the problem stuck out like a sore thumb... all the values seemed to run together.  Oh that all problems would be so simple to fix...  today I came across a color value chart I made several years ago... you may have one like this...

Since it was made so long ago I couldn't remember if I ever checked the values in black and white to see how close I had gotten with the colors.  So, I checked it... like I do my paintings.

And, another light has come on... so I'm going to take a black and white of the portrait and see if I get a little better perspective on how it is really coming along.  It may be a heart thumping moment after all.

Be Still My Art,

Kay



No comments:

Post a Comment