Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gladiolus

Gladiolus
Watercolor and Pen and Ink
4.5" X 13.5"
I wish I could say that I stepped out into my yard the other day and cut these gorgeous gladiolus from my flower bed... but since I have a major brown thumb I would be fibbing if I said something like that.  The best I can do is pick them up at the store... but they are still gorgeous.  I took a few minutes after breakfast to do a contour line drawing of one of the stems.  I wanted to do a small painting to see if I liked it enough to do a larger one later.  For me this painting wasn't much fun.  That "wow" factor had been missing from the get go so my heart never was in it.  Even though it was a small painting I really had to push myself to stay involved enough to even complete it.  Do you ever find yourself in a spot like that?  Since I had started it I felt like I should follow it through to the end but it was almost like punishment.  So, maybe for me a lot of the "Wow!" factor comes in the "discovery" of the painting and the planning that goes into the painting at the start.  I love to design the paintings and work with the values and most of that preplanning was missing from this painting.  Maybe next time I should work with a better light source and the dazzle that is so necessary for me will be there!! 

Be Still My Art,

Kay



2 comments:

  1. Kay, you might not have enjoyed this painting, but it is very good! i love it! i like the rich color.i don't do the little bitty ones either. i think they are harder!
    I see that you are from Keller. One of my dearest friends lives in Keller. we went to school together years ago, and we have kept in touch!
    will you be at the SWS show in Sept? If so, I would love to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Suzy... you are very kind. Yes, as far as I know I will be at the SWS show. We should make it a point to meet while there. I don't get to go to many of the meetings because they are at night and that is usually when my mother needs my help the most. (She lives with us and is 90 yrs. old). I miss the comradery one has in the meetings and workshops. Thank you for stopping by my blog and joining.

    ReplyDelete