Friday, June 17, 2011

Contour Line Drawings

One of the best ways I know to improve your drawing skills is to do blind, semi-blind and regular contour line drawings.  I haven't always felt that way because I remember back (W-A-Y...back) when I was in college I thought it was stupid that we had to do them... but then I thought everything was stupid.  I didn't really learn to appreciate contour line drawing exercises until I taught them to my students at school.  After standing and demonstrating how to do a blind contour line drawing 7 times a day several days a week I began to notice my own drawing skills were improving.  It didn't take long to convince me of the value of doing contour line drawings.
Blind contour line drawing
A blind contour line drawing is done by looking only at what you are drawing and not the drawing itself.  It is supposed to be done using one continuous line and not ever picking up your pencil.  Obviously the objective is not to produce a great drawing but rather to learn to really look at and thus really see what you are drawing.  It stands to reason then that since drawing is seeing, one's drawing skills would improve proportionately to one's ability to really see objects.  A semi-blind contour line drawing is when you look at the drawing only once in a while to adjust your pencil (without picking it up... just move the line to where you should be).  In doing a true contour line drawing, one is constantly looking back and forth from the object being drawn to the drawing itself.  It is still done in one continuous line without picking up the pencil.

As is the case with many artists, I take my sketchbook with me wherever I go... even to church.  As I listen to the sermons I draw... usually a modified contour line drawing (which means I do it however I want to do it :0}  ).





Yesterday I had a heart fluttering moment as I looked at the light hitting the beautiful cannas blooming outside our backdoor.  I cut them and brought them in to my studio where I took the time to study them just a little.
 I can feel another watercolor painting about to bloom.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Be Still My Art,
Kay


P.S. To see some really good contour line drawings turned into paintings see Nancy Fleagle .  



No comments:

Post a Comment